Tangy BBQ Pulled Jackfruit is a delicious vegan alternative to traditional pulled pork. This recipe offers a tangy and savory flavor profile that will satisfy your cravings for barbecue. Made with jackfruit, a versatile fruit that mimics the texture of pulled pork, this dish is perfect for sandwiches, tacos, or served over rice.
Tangy BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- 2 cans (20 oz each) young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Buns or tortillas for serving
- Optional toppings: coleslaw, pickles, avocado slices
- In a large skillet or pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the drained and rinsed jackfruit to the skillet. Use a fork or potato masher to break it apart into smaller pieces that resemble pulled pork.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat the jackfruit evenly.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium, cover the skillet, and let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the jackfruit has softened and absorbed the flavors, use a fork to further shred it into a pulled texture. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve the tangy BBQ pulled jackfruit on buns or tortillas. Top with your favorite toppings like coleslaw, pickles, or avocado slices. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional information per serving (without toppings): Calories: 220, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 53g, Fiber: 6g, Protein: 2g