Experience the richness of Cajun flavors with this classic seafood gumbo recipe. It’s a delightful blend of spices, seafood, and vegetables that will warm your soul and tantalize your taste buds.
Cajun-Spiced Seafood Gumbo
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups seafood or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 cup okra, sliced (optional)
- Cooked rice for serving
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir constantly to make a roux. Cook until the roux turns a deep brown color, about 15-20 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the roux. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Stir in the andouille sausage, crushed tomatoes, seafood or chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp, crabmeat, and okra (if using) to the pot. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the seafood is cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaves and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve the gumbo over cooked rice, garnished with chopped green onions.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information: Calories: 380, Total Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 175mg, Sodium: 1120mg, Total Carbohydrates: 16g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 30g